Earthfest, Singapore’s very first fully sustainable and zero waste festival for the family was held in Sept 2015. The second edition graced the city in February 2017. It’s time for part three of the much anticipated annual event! Secondsguru had partnered with Earthfest on the two earlier occasions and we are thrilled to be a part of Singapore’s inspiring conscious community once again in January 2018. See pictures from Earthfest 2017 to find out what it is all about here. If you love planet earth and want to be a part of a movement that is trying to work together to make our future sustainable, then here are 7 compelling reasons why we think you should join in the festival on Sunday, January 14th 2018, with friends and family in tow!
1. The venue: The truly picturesque and sustainably built Marina barrage, Singapore’s 15th water reservoir, is the venue for the event and is an ideal spot to spend the day with your family! PUB, Singapore’s National Water Agency, very graciously extends the venue out to the organisers year after year. While you are there for Earthfest, take time out to check out the Sustainable Singapore Gallery, the Solar Park and the sheer expanse of water at the Marina barrage.
2. Music all day long: The event is musically inspiring with various local live bands on stage. The January 2018 edition will see local artist Christiane Mikaela perform too.
3. A festival for all ages: Have kids? You must take them along for the festival. Reschedule their activities if you must, but this one definitely not to be missed! There are edutainment counters and fun games where kids and young adults can be engaged in lots of experiential learning that is fun too. Oh and it is the best place to find fellow tree huggers if you are looking for company!
4. Play your role in propagating circular economy in Singapore: At the Earthfest, you will get a platform to participate in a book swap, brought to you by Secondsguru and a clothes swap, organized by Swapaholic. For the book swap, you need to turn up with your preloved books on the day of the event, and just swap 1-for-1. For the clothes swap, just register here prior to the event, drop off your preloved clothes [in *mint condition* only] and turn up on the day of the event to participate in the swap!
5. Shop sustainably from over 100 vendors: A great showcase of locally grown edibles, organic coffee, ethically produced and sourced clothes, accessories, home decor and gifting items will be there at Earthfest. So do not forget to carry enough cash on you :-). Not only are the items made with love, they are also unique, so you will have a hard time making up your mind. Trust us on that!
6. Plant-based and planet friendly food: Did we mention, Earthfest will have a great spread of choicest yummies too. You will be able to pick and choose from plant based delectable cuisine presented by some of the best in Singapore- Lingzhi, Veganburg, brownrice icecreams, Alka’s kitchen to name a few. This time there will be a food truck to up the ‘coolness’ quotient even further.
7. Free e-tickets: It gets busy, so book yours here before registrations close
Finally, in case you are wondering like many others, how an event with so many stakeholders- adults, kids, vendors, crafters- can be sustainable, here is how
– All cutlery and plates used are 100% compostable. The organisers actually compost it.
-The design of the materials used is such that it can be reused.
-All non-reusable/ non-compostable trash has to be appropriately trashed by the one who created it. In short, there is no room for carbon footprints.
– No pamphlets will be handed out at the event. There will be digital distribution only.
– Only reusable bags will be allowed, no plastic absolutely.
– All the edibles at the Earthfest will be palm oil free or cooked in R.S.P.O. [Round table on Sustainable Palm Oil] certified palm oil